Case Study | Bridging Care Concerns Over Two Countries
© Danielle Robertson Consulting Pty Ltd t/as DR Care Solutions
An ex-pat living in London and working in a high-powered role had concerns for her 85-year old mother's health and wellbeing. Her mother was living alone, without care support or assistance in the Sutherland Shire of Sydney. The daughter’s financial adviser referred the family to DR Care Solutions.
The client was 85 years of age. While cognitively alert, she was becoming more and more frail. The daughter held the following concerns:
- Her mother lived alone and the daughter could only visit once or twice a year. The son, residing in Sydney, was an airline pilot and was rarely home.
- Whether her mother was eating nutritional meals.
- Her mother's increasing frailty, and her mounting difficulty with cooking, shopping and cleaning.
- Diminished social activity as her mother had stopped attending church since losing her driver’s licence.
- Of Filipino descent, her mother was reverting back to her mother tongue.
- The client had no previous contact with My Aged Care.
The Care Solution
DR Care Solutions was engaged and within two weeks, DR Care Solutions:
- Undertook a comprehensive care needs assessment of the client.
- Developed a Life Plan© with clear recommendations on what care and support services should be implemented.
- Contacted My Aged Care, and the client was registered and a meeting with the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) was arranged.
- Arranged for a representative to attend the ACAT Assessment to support the client as their independent advocate, as the daughter was unable to attend. It is advisable to have a ‘third' person present when an assessment is being undertaken on someone who is vulnerable.
- Put in place "fee for service" care until the client's Home Care Package was released 18 months later.
- Introduced an Approved Aged Care Home Care Provider who introduced carers of Filipino background to support the client in their home and accompany her on outings.
Throughout the entire process, the London-based daughter was kept informed of proceedings. DR Care Solutions was her ‘ears and eyes’ on the ground giving peace of mind that her mother would be able to remain at home with the right care and support in place.
We continue to ensure the client's care needs are being met by the selected Home Care Provider and to keep the daughter informed.
The client remains at home in good health. We achieved her desire to remain at home with good quality care.
For more information, please reach out to Danielle Robertson at DR Care Solutions for an initial discussion on how to set up the right care, support and assistance for your loved one, at the right time and in the right place. We support clients from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.