Case Study | Loneliness in Seniors: Finding Companionship
© Danielle Robertson Consulting Pty Ltd t/as DR Care Solutions
A family were concerned about the limited interaction their 102 year old great grandmother, Helen*, was having with other people in her residential aged care facility. The granddaughter, who knew Danielle Robertson from DR Care Solutions, engaged us to find the right carer to spend quality time with and offer companionship to her grandmother.
Cognitively, Helen was sharp as a tack, however, her body was failing her. The granddaughter, who had five young children herself, was unable to ‘pop’ in during the week to see her grandmother. The family would drop in on the weekends, but the weekdays were long and lonely for Helen.
The Care Solution
DR Care Solutions was engaged and within one week, DR Care Solutions:
- Completed a comprehensive care needs assessment of the client.
- Developed a Life Plan© with clear recommendations on what could be provided.
- Arranged for the family to pay a 'fee for service' for the introduction of a visiting carer.
- Introduced a quality HomeCare Provider who provided a mature carer to engage this lady in stimulating conversation.
- Oversaw the services of the HomeCare Provider to ensure they introduced a suitably matched carer based on the description of the client's ideal carer, as outlined in their Life Plan©.
Helen enjoyed being taken out into the sunshine in her wheelchair three mornings each week.
With her new carer, she enjoyed sharing coffee, life stories and wisdom. The visits gave this client purpose.
Sadly, Helen passed away and her lovely carer was with her at that moment. She held her hand and the client slipped away - a special, yet sad moment for her carer.
* Names have been changed to protect the identity and privacy of subjects.
For more information, please reach out to Danielle Robertson at DR Care Solutions for an initial discussion on how to set up the right care, support and assistance for your loved one, at the right time and in the right place.