Case Study | Unprepared for a Sudden Shock
© Danielle Robertson Consulting Pty Ltd t/as DR Care Solutions
A 78-year-old widow was residing alone in her own home on the Northern Beaches of Sydney. She lived independently until she suffered a massive stroke resulting in complete paralysis down her right side. She was rushed to hospital for treatment and specialised nursing care. With no estate planning documentation in place and unsure of what was needed in terms of care, the Sydney-based daughter was referred to DR Care Solutions.
Prior to her stroke, the client, being so fit and healthy, had overlooked the need for estate planning documentation, including the appointment of an Enduring Power of Attorney (for financial decisions) and Enduring Guardian (for health, care and accommodation decisions).
The client lost capacity as a result of her stroke and, without this documentation, the courts had to determine who would act on her behalf. Her daughter incorrectly assumed that she would automatically be able to make decisions on behalf of her mother.
Further complications arose with respect to the hospital care as the client, of Serbian descent, reverted back to her native tongue, and hospital staff could not understand the client.
The Care Solution
DR Care Solutions was engaged. Within one week, DR Care Solutions:
- Undertook a comprehensive care needs assessment of the client while she was still in hospital.
- Developed a Life Plan© with clear care recommendations.
- Our assessment found that due to the severity of the permanent disabilities, she would not be able to live independently in her own home and that a move to an aged care facility was necessary.
Over a four-week period, DR Care Solutions:
- Supported the daughter who, while dealing with the shock of her mother's sudden decline, faced pressure from multiple fronts. She needed to: obtain legal advice and sort out the legal paperwork to enable her to make decisions on her mother's behalf; respond to the hospital's requests that she find a suitable long-term care solution quickly; and continue her responsibilities as a mother of two teenage children and wife of a business owner.
- Arranged an ACAT assessment for the client through My Aged Care.
- Commenced the search for the RIGHT Aged Care Facility for the client. As part of the process, we ran a comparative report of the top 10 Aged Care Facilities to assess: suitability to the client; availability; and ability to attend to the client's high care needs. The options were narrowed down to four facilities.
- Toured the four facilities with the daughter. After long discussions and weighing up of the pros and cons, a facility was selected. The client was relocated from hospital to the Aged Care Facility.
Four weeks later, a visit to the client proved that we had found the right facility. She was doing well in her new home with regular physiotherapy, good quality care and nutritious meals. Visits from family and friends appeared to be the highlight for her.
For more information, please reach out to Danielle Robertson at DR Care Solutions for an initial discussion on how to set up the right care, support and assistance for your loved one, at the right time and in the right place. We support clients from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.