My Aged Care vs NDIS - What's the Difference in the World of Care?

My Aged Care vs NDIS - What's the Difference in the World of Care?

© Danielle Robertson Consulting Pty Ltd t/as DR Care Solutions

Having helped many Australians with their care needs for 34 years, I am mindful that newcomers to the world of aged care and disability care are not necessarily familiar with the territory.

So let's get down to understanding how the provision of care is broadly organised in Australia.

Just a note from the outset, the Australian Federal Government subsidises care for eligible Australians. Latest figures show the Federal Government spends around $18 billion on aged care and $21.5 billion on disability care, annually.


My Aged Care vs National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS): The Difference

In providing care subsidies, the Federal Government divides the world of care by age, namely whether you are under 65 years of age or over 65 years of age.

Under 65 Years

If you are under 65 years of age and seek government subsidised care, you need to contact the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) to establish if you are eligible to receive government subsidised disability support under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). You will be assessed for your eligibility.

Over 65 Years

If you are over 65 years of age and seek government subsided care, you need to contact My Aged Care to establish if you are eligible to receive government subsidised aged care support.


My Aged Care

Established in July 2013 and funded by the Federal Department of Health, My Aged Care was created to help people navigate the aged care system, find information and connect with aged care service providers.

My Aged Care provides:

  • Information on the different types of aged care services available.
  • An assessment of your care needs to identify the type of care and support you may need and your eligibility for government subsidised services. The assessment is undertaken by the Regional Assessment Service (RAS) or by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). The assessment undertaken depends on your needs and requirements at the time.
  • A RAS assessment is for entry level care and support provided through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP). ACAT assessments are for consideration of allocation of a HomeCare Package (HCP) (four packages - lowest level is one, up to the highest level four package).
  • Referrals and support to find local service providers that can meet your needs.
  • Information on what you might need to pay towards the cost of your care, in addition to the government subsidy.


A person eligible to receive government subsidised aged care services is called a "my aged care client".

For my information visit: or phone 1800 200 422.



Established in March 2013 and funded by both Federal and State/Territory Governments, the NDIS was created to help people with permanent and significant disabilities with the reasonable and necessary supports they need to enjoy an ordinary life.

After a three-year trial period, the scheme started to rollout across Australia in 2016. The scheme is run by the Federal Government agency, the NDIA.

The NDIS provides:

  • An assessment of your application for disability support to identify your eligibility to receive government-funded support. The assessment is undertaken by the National Access Team (NAT).
  • If you are eligible for government-funded support, assistance in developing your care plan, and referrals and linkages to local supports. In setting up supports, you are assisted by a Local Area Co-ordinator (LAC), an NDIA employee who is located in your local community.
  • If you are not eligible for government-funded support, you can still receive some assistance by way of the LAC providing information and linkages to the different supports available in your local community.


A person eligible to receive government-funded disability support is called "a participant".

For more information visit: or phone 1800 800 110.


What Happens When an NDIS Participant Turns 65 Years of Age?

If you are an NDIS participant and turn 65, you are given a choice as to whether you wish to continue to receive support through the NDIS or wish to change to receiving support through My Aged Care.

If you choose to remain with the NDIS, your support will continue. However, this support will be transferred to My Aged Care under either of the following two circumstances:

  1. Where you become a permanent resident of a residential care service, or
  2. Where you start receiving home care on a permanent basis.


In Closing

As mentioned in prior blogs, the care sector is a difficult one to navigate. It is the very reason why I set up DR Care Solutions. I represent you as an independent Advocate in making sure you set up the right care, support and assistance for your loved one, at the right time and in the right place.

If you seek aged care or disability care solutions, please feel free to contact me, Danielle Robertson at DR Care Solutions, for an initial discussion.

- Contact Danielle - For An Impartial & Confidential Conversation


Recent Posts

See All